Thursday, October 16, 2008

Perspective

We had the privilege of sharing lunch with Pastor Peyot, Sangeline and baby Pednika this week. Peyot is a pastor in his native land of Haiti. Don met him years ago on a mission trip! How wonderful it was to see him again, and to meet his wife and baby daughter! Of course, all of us, especially Sis, had fun holding Nika and playing with her! I kept imagining the fun we are going to have when we are finally able to bring "B" home:)

As we were eating together, Peyot was sharing about the poor economic and political situation in Haiti right now. It's been especially hard there because of the hurricanes - many families' crops were destroyed. Then, he told us about a time that he was unable to feed his wife and children for a week. He talked not of his hunger pains, but of the pain of watching his family suffer from hunger. As he was speaking, my mind was racing as I thought: I have so much! I've never seen my children hungry. I've never experienced this level of suffering. "B"'s mom in Ethiopia experienced this. Oh God, please help me to not become so concerned with the little irritations and inconviences in my selfish life. Please let me remember this moment. By God's grace may I get beyond myself.

2 comments:

Jen said...

They have an amazing testimony. He spoke on Sunday and we were just amazed by what he had to say. Thanks for the talk yesterday. It's good to know that you are praying :)

Our Princess said...

You've been tagged! See my blog!