Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pondering God's Grace

Last Saturday I was able to go out to breakfast with a very good friend and then head to the Christian bookstore. We were looking for Bible studies for the spring and found one entitled "Grace: An Invitation to a Way of Life" by John Ortberg. I eagerly began the study on Monday morning and was thrilled that God used it to speak to me about His tender care. The study is focused on Psalm 23..."The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul." At one point in the Bible study we were to paraphrase the scripture so that it meant the exact opposite...The Lord is not my shepherd - I shall be in want...he makes me lie down in barren places, he leads me beside turbulent waters, he distresses my soul. It was very difficult for me to write that. The point was to contrast the Truth of God being our Good Shepherd with the lie that He doesn't truly care for us. It made me soooo thankful that He does care for us and that I can place my complete trust in Him.

The Bible study also challenged me to begin the practice of noticing...to notice something, to truly pay attention to it. It was a reminder for me to stop and notice God's gracious gifts to me everyday...being able to be home with my kids, taking a walk with my husband, picking daffodils with my toddler, a warm bed on a rainy night, the ability to read, being able to buy groceries...this list goes on and on. May you also be challenged to stop and notice God's very special gifts for you today!

"God...richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." I Timothy 6:17(b)

5 comments:

Jill Herald said...

I think you may have shared that just for me to read. I need that perspective more than you know. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share!! May you have a very blessed day in the presence of God for your faithful obedience to His request.

Miranda said...

Thank you so much for sharing that! Thinking of a life where God didn't care made it scary. I quickly returned to real life! To not know Him or of Him, it's an awful feeling, hopeless. Hopeless by feeling like this is as good as it's gonna get, like there isn't something better waiting. And for those that don't know Him or know of Him, their current situation is way worse than we can even imagine from our lives.

Kimmie said...

Hi Kelly;

Wow, that does make you think when you switch the wording around.

I am so SO glad that He has NOT left me in a barren place (or barren with secondary infertility), but so thankful that He has led me down paths of righteousness for His namesake.

Enjoy your study, so glad you had a nice time out with your girlfriend. Friends are such a blessing!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Loreen said...

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, my friend! I so enjoy reading what God has shared with you! And, I am filled with joy that He does love us and cares so much for us! It brings to my mind the old hymn, "What a friend we have in Jesus!" Amen!

Sarah said...

Thankful ... truly thankful. I just stopped by, got stuck in God's goodness flowing from your words. Your words are touching hearts around the world.

Besitos (little kisses) from Costa Rica,
Sarah